Keto Zone Zucchini Pizza Crust & Amazing Health Benefits
Most Keto Zone eaters still love pizza. And most Keto Zone eaters are willing to try different approaches to making Keto pizza, for both variety and to find the one they like best. If you’re up for a new one, we’ve got Keto Zone Zucchini Pizza Crust just for you.
It’s quite good.
Believe it or not, it’s got a great texture and a crisp crust result. It takes a bit of prep-work, but that’s true of a really good traditional pizza as well.
Additionally, zucchini is full of amazing health benefits. This humble vegetable promotes whole-body health from your heart to your gut and beyond.
Why not give it a try this week?
Keto Zone Zucchini Pizza Crust
8 oz zucchini, shredded
3 large eggs, preferably organic, free-range and high omega-3
1 cup mozzarella cheese (must be “hard” mozzarella and not fresh/soft)
1/4 cup coconut flour (no substitutions)
1/2 tsp sea salt + sprinkle
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-14 inch non-stick pizza pan or cookie sheet with coconut oil or avocado oil. If not a non-stick pan, first line it with parchment paper and then grease.
- Place grated zucchini on the pan in a thin layer. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt (not 1/2 teaspoon, only a small amount).
- Bake zucchini for 15 minutes until softened and mostly dry. Once done, pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, coconut flour, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Add dried zucchini to the bowl and mix well.
- Clean off non-stick pizza pan. Line again with parchment paper as needed, and grease with oil.
- Spread mixture onto the pan in a thin circle, about 12 inches in diameter. Bake for 20-30 minutes until there are brown spots on top. Remove pizza crust from oven and increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Once the zucchini pizza crust has rested and cooled for 10 minutes on the counter, top with sauce and toppings. Thicker sauces work best. Cooked pizza for 10 minutes until cheese melts.
- Allow pizza to cool slightly and firm for a pizza slice you can pick up.
Nutrition information (1/8 of recipe or 1/8 of pizza): 83 calories, 4 grams fat, 1 gram net carbs (3 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber), 6 grams protein.
Amazing Health Benefits of Zucchini Pizza Crust
1. Nutritious Low-Carbohydrate Substitute
You’ve likely noticed that zucchini is used in many Keto Zone recipes. It’s no wonder. It is a versatile low-carbohydrate food, full of nutrients. In fact, in just one cup of fresh zucchini, you get (1):
- Just 20 calories and just 2 net grams of carbohydrates (4 total grams with 2.5 grams fiber). Traditional pasta or dough has 80-120 calories, and 20-25 grams carbohydrates for the same amount.
- Nutrients including Vitamin C (potent antioxidant), beta-carotene (potent antioxidant), folate, and potassium.
- Omega-3s, carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin, and anti-inflammatory starches in the seeds and flesh.
- Vitamins including bone-building vitamin K, energizing folate, vitamin B6, and thiamine.
2. Nutrients to Fight Oxidative Stress and Inflammation
Zucchini is a powerhouse of antioxidants. It contains free-radical-fighting carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene. Carotenoids are specifically beneficial in fighting oxidative stress and promoting health in your eyes, skin, and heart. They also display anti-cancer properties (2
These antioxidant nutrients are vital to eye health (3). Additionally, zucchini’s lutein and zeaxanthin can accumulate in the retina of the eye itself, improving vision and reducing the risk of eye diseases (4).
What’s more, you get more nutrition if you don’t peel zucchini, so leave the skin on (5, 6)!
In addition to antioxidants that fight signs of aging by neutralizing free radicals, zucchini’s special pectin fibers are anti-inflammatory. Pectins improve arterial health and reduce inflammation.
3. Digestive Health
Zucchini promotes great digestion in 2 ways.
First, it provides hydration to soften stools and reduce constipation.
Next, zucchini contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. These fibers add bulk to stools, feed healthy bacteria, and keep the gut in good shape (7, 8).
If you struggle with high blood sugars, zucchini is a great food for you.
To start, it’s a great substitute for carbohydrates.
Next, it’s fiber reduces blood sugar spikes (9, 10). When blood sugars are under better control, it becomes easier to lose weight. What’s more, intake of non-starchy, dark green or yellow vegetables — with similar nutrition profiles to zucchini — appears particularly beneficial to weight loss (11).
5. Heart Health
Zucchini has good news if you want great heart health.
Zucchini’s fiber can help optimize cholesterol levels (12
). Zucchini is also rich in heart-healthy potassium, which is linked to improved blood pressure in those with hypertension (14
). What’s more, zucchini’s antioxidant carotenoids fight oxidative stress that can hurt the heart (15
Looking for a great Keto Zone pizza crust and great health benefits. Look no further than zucchini. And for more great recipes and tips, try our FREE Keto Zone 21-Day-Challenge today!