If you’re eating in the Keto Zone, but miss the versatility of sandwich bread or buns, look no further than cloud bread.
Bread is often considered a staple in the Western Diet.
This alone is a huge part of our dietary downfall.
Unfortunately, the main ingredients in bread offer very little nutrition, are often the cause of digestive intolerances, and spike blood sugars and insulin. What’s more, most commercial bread is loaded with additives, unhealthy fats, and more.
Not cloud bread.
It’s made of cream cheese and eggs.
It takes less than 15 minutes to whip up, and about 30 minutes to bake.
And although it may seem a bit odd at first, you’ll love it once you give it try.
Here is how to make and use Keto Zone Cloud Bread.
Keto Zone Cloud Bread
- 3 large eggs, separated (organic, free range)
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz) cream cheese or whole milk cottage cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (do not use foil, the cloud bread will stick).
- Separate the eggs carefully, making sure there is no yolk in the white.
- In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, 3 oz. cream cheese, and salt until smooth.
- In the other bowl add Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and peaks.
- Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed. Do NOT stir and do your best to not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
- With a large spoon, “scoop” the mixture into 10 even rounds on the lined baking sheets (about the size of the top half of a normal hamburger bun.
- Bake on the middle rack, for approximately 30 minutes, give or take 5 minutes. Start watching them at 25 minutes, and remove from heat once they are golden brown (they will burn easily shortly thereafter).
- Remove from the pans and cool on parchment paper on counter or rack.
- While warm, they will be similar to meringue in texture. But once they cool completely, they will be the texture of bread (a bun)!
- To store, make sure to separate every layer with parchment paper or they will stick together. Store in a large baggie or another container.
Nutrition info: 98 calories, 0 gm carbs, 4 gm fat, 2 gm protein
How to Use Keto Zone Cloud Bread
Cloud bread is quite versatile and allows you to make most anything you used to make with bread. It’s perfect for Keto Zone eating: High fat and low carb.
First, you can get a lot of variety from the above recipe by adding your own herbs and spices.
Experiment with onion or garlic powder, or dried herbs like basil or rosemary.
Next, use Keto Zone Cloud Bread in sandwiches and meals. Here are a few examples:
- Avocado Cloud Bread: Mash an avocado, and salt to taste (or make Keto Zone Guacamole). Spread over cooled Keto Zone Cloud bread.
- Pesto Cloud Bread: Spread Keto Zone Basil Pesto over cloud bread. Add an extra drizzle of olive oil to increase healthy fats if needed.
- Keto Zone PB&J: Cloud Bread, Almond or Cashew Butter, and Cranberry Chia Jam OR Keto Zone Raspberry Chia Jam. Never miss your old favorite sandwich again!
- Buttered Cloud Bread with a Fried Egg: We’ve discussed in many posts how eggs are a nutritious part of Keto Zone eating. Top Keto Zone Cloud Bread with butter or olive oil, a fried egg, and salt/pepper to taste.
- BLT on Cloud Bread: Using Keto Zone Avocado Mayo, or a commercial non-soybean mayo, make a good ol’ fashioned BLT with bacon, lettuce, and a slice of tomato. If you don’t tolerate tomatoes or are avoiding nightshades, try using sprouts, or other vegetables in its place.
The options are endless. And, while the cloud bread may seem a bit intimidating at first, once you have it down, it’s easy to make your own supply of Keto Zone Cloud Bread every few days.
Keto Zone Cloud Bread can make it possible for you to easily enjoy many favorites without the flour, sugar, insulin-spike, or inflammation of conventional bread. Try it with healthy fats for a great Keto Zone meal.