Halloween can be an especially scary time if you are trying to stay in the Keto Zone. High-sugar, high-processed candy is seemingly everywhere; on countertops, in bowls, in offices, at hand. What can you do? Swap it! How about a Keto Peanut Butter Cup?
This would be an okay choice, but for an even healthier keto version, make one more swap. Instead of peanut butter, use almond butter.
Why? Peanuts, as legumes rather than nuts, present a few issues for those in the Keto Zone®. On the other hand, almonds offer many health benefits and great nutrition!
Almond Butter layer:
1. Prepare a muffin pan by lining each cup with parchment paper liners or candy cups.
2. Start with the bottom chocolate layer. First, heat half of the chocolate (5 ounces) and half of the coconut oil (2 1/2 tablespoon) in a double boiler on the stove. Stir frequently until melted. Alternatively, use a microwave to melt chocolate by heating in 20 second intervals and stirring in between until melted.
3. Optionally, stir in half of the vanilla (1/4 teaspoon).
4. Next, fill the bottom of the parchment cups evenly with chocolate. It should be about 2 teaspoons in each cup. Freeze for approximately 10 minutes until the top of the chocolate is firm.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the almond butter layer. First, heat the almond butter and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave (use the same method as step 2). Stir in the powdered sweetener, almond flour, optional vanilla, and sea salt until smooth. Adjust sweetener and salt, to taste.
6. Next, take firmed chocolate cups out of the freezer. Spoon one teaspoon of the almond butter mixture onto the center of each cup over the chocolate layer. Allow it to spread into a circle in the middle without reaching edges. Return to the freezer and freeze for another 10 minutes, until the top of almond butter is firm.
7. Then, make the top chocolate layer. Heat the remaining chocolate (5 ounces) and remaining
coconut oil (2 1/2 tablespoons) in a double boiler or microwave as described in step 2. Stir in the
remaining optional vanilla (1/4 teaspoon).
8. Remove the muffin pan from the freezer once again. Pour the chocolate into each cup, over the almond butter layer (about 2 teaspoons per cup). The chocolate should reach the sides of each cup and cover the top of the almond butter to form a solid candy.
9. Return cups to the freezer for at least 20-30 minutes until the candy is completely firm. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy! Makes 12 cups.
Nutrition Facts (per cup): 187 calories, 18 grams fat, 3 grams net carbohydrates (14 grams carbohydrates, 11 grams fiber), 3 grams protein
When comparing our Keto Zone Almond Butter Cups to commercial Peanut Butter Cups, the first nutrition issue stands out is sugar. As you likely realize, regular peanut butter cups are overflowing in sugar. In fact, sugar is in 3 of the first 4 ingredients of a regular peanut butter cup!
Why is this an issue?
First, this much sugar will absolutely knock you right out of the Keto Zone! In order to make ketones, your blood cannot have high amounts of glucose in it.
Next, over-consumption of sugar is simply unhealthy for your body. Not only can overeating sugar cause elevated blood glucose, resistance to insulin, weight gain, inflammation, and elevated triglycerides, it’s now linked to harmful abnormal cell growth in breast tissue (1).
Next, almonds are a great swap for peanuts.
First, peanuts are legumes rather than nuts (2). They are higher in carbohydrates, and lower in fiber than almonds. Next, peanuts have a fat composition that is high in omega-6 fats. Consuming a high ratio of high omega-6 fats compared to omega-3s is associated with increased inflammation and unhealthy body weight (3). Lastly, peanuts can contain a toxin called aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a mold toxin that can contaminate peanut crops. Thankfully, our crops are tested. However, aflatoxin is a serious toxin with negative consequences for human health.
On the other hand, almonds are incredibly nutritious for those in the Keto Zone. To start, they are high in antioxidants and reduce oxidative stress and damage in the body (4, 5). Next, almonds favorably affect both LDL and HDL cholesterol (6, 7). Moreover, almond consumption promotes blood sugar control, reduced inflammation, and healthy body weight (8, 9).
that caffeine may interfere with insulin release and result in related metabolic issues when mixed with sugar. It makes the sugar spike more intense. (10, 11, 12).
And, that’s not all.
Sugar in liquid form makes its way especially quickly through the digestive tract, having a strong impact on blood sugars. For those with pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, blood sugars are often high in the mornings. A morning caffeine and sugar latte can spell disaster.
Along with swapping peanut butter and commercial peanut butter cups this Halloween, here are a couple more great swaps:
With our Keto Zone swaps, you’ll enjoy great flavor and amazing nutrition benefits!
Halloween doesn’t have to be so scary. Make the swap from high-sugar processed foods and make Keto Zone ones instead. Start with our Keto Peanut Butter Cup swap (using almond butter!). Then, look for other opportunities to take the sugar out, while adding more nutrients in!