- 7 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 large ripe mango, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat the inside of a 9-inch round cake pan with oil. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of the brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of the oil, and then spread evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Fan out mango slices in a circle to cover the bottom and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 4 tablespoons oil. Add egg yolks, vanilla and coconut milk in that order, whisking after each addition. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, and then whisk into egg mixture just until combined.
In a clean, large bowl, whisk egg whites until firm peaks form, and then stir one-third into batter. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter just until combined. Pour batter into the pan over mango slices, spreading it out evenly. Bake until cake is golden brown and bounces back when touched in the middle, about 40 minutes.
Set cake aside to cool for 10 minutes, and then carefully invert onto a platter, gently replacing any mango slices that stick to the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Recipe found at whole foods market