Have you always wanted to grow your own fresh herbs, but thought it was too hard? Or, you don’t have space for a garden? Or maybe you think they are not worth the effort? Introducing the Keto Zone® Fresh Herb Container Garden.
Instead of a full garden, try growing an easy-to-maintain container garden. It’s easy, and it doesn’t take much space at all. You can use a window seal, a small balcony, or a stoop.
The best part?
You can take any dish, smoothie, and drink to the next level, in terms of both flavor and nutrition benefits, by adding herbs. In fact, container gardens are a great option. First, growing herbs is much more cost-effective than buying them. Second, herbs contain amazing antioxidants and phytochemicals that impact your health – and you can add them every day. Third, even with just a small amount of dirt, you can enjoy the many health benefits of gardening.
Here’s a few to try and why you should.
5 Amazing Keto Zone® Fresh Herb Container Garden Herbs
1. PARSLEY for Heart Health
Parsley is one of the most-used herbs in culinary preparations worldwide. It’s no wonder since parsley adds a fresh, delicious flavor to almost any dish.
What’s more, parsley is incredibly healthful (1, 2). It:
- Encourages Heart Health: Parsley is a great source of carotenoid antioxidants, which have been found to support heart health. In fact, carotenoid-rich diets have been shown to improve heart disease risk factors like chronic inflammation, as well as elevated blood pressure and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels (3). One 12-year study of over 73,000 nurses found an inverse association between dietary carotenoids, like those in parsley, and the incidence of coronary artery disease (4). Another study of over 13,000 people suggested that those with higher blood levels of carotenoids had lower rates of heart disease mortality than those with lower carotenoid levels (5).
- Supports healthy blood sugars: In animal studies, researchers have found that the antioxidants in parsley reduce high blood sugar levels (6).
Parsley is a great choice for your fresh herb container garden!
2. BASIL to Fight Oxidative Stress
Basil is a superstar of nutrition among foods. It offers many health benefits (7). In fact, it:
- Reduces inflammation and oxidative stress: Basil’s flavonoids, especially orientin and vicenin, are phytonutrients that protect cell structures from radiation and oxygen-based damage (free radicals/oxidative stress). And eugenol, one of basil’s volatile oils, works to block the inflammatory activity of an enzyme (cyclooxygenase) in the body.
- Improves blood flow: Basil’s vitamin A and magnesium can improve blood flow. Leafy greens like basil keep your artery walls strong and clear of plagues. Then, the magnesium in basil prompts muscles and blood vessels to relax, which improves blood flow out of the heart and throughout the body.
Easy to maintain and grow, basil will be a superstar of your fresh herb container garden this summer.
3. OREGANO as a Potent Antibacterial Agent and Medicinal
Oregano is actually part of the mint family. It can also impact health in many ways (8). It:
- Has antibacterial properties. Its primary phytochemicals, thymol and carvacrol, fight infections and bacteria. Meanwhile, its antioxidants help reduce and prevent cell damage.
- Is a potent medicinal when used as an essential oil. It is considered a “hot oil,” and must be diluted correctly for topical use. When used, it’s known to support immune function, digestion, nasal health, and potentially joint pain.
For full-body wellness, don’t skip oregano in your fresh herb container garden.
4. CILANTRO for Brain and Blood Sugar Support
Known as a wonderful flavor agent when added to Mexican, Chinese, Southeast Asian, and Indian cuisines, cilantro is versatile and great for your body. Interestingly, the seeds of cilantro are known as coriander, and the leaves are called cilantro.
How can it affect your health? Cilantro is a great herb to grow this summer because it can:
- Support normalized blood sugars: Amazingly, cilantro has been shown to increase an enzyme in the body that removes sugar from the blood. It’s so potent that those taking blood sugar medication, or those who are at risk of low blood sugars, need to use some caution when eating it (9, 10).
- Promote brain health: Brain ailments associated with inflammation may also benefit from cilantro intake. One animal study found that coriander extract exhibited protection against damage to nerve cells following seizures. Another concluded that it may improve memory in those suffering from degenerative brain diseases like Alzheimer’s (11, 12).
Add cilantro from your garden this summer for more flavor and health!
5. PEPPERMINT in Folk Medicine and Aromatherapy
For centuries, peppermint has been used in folk medicine and aromatherapy. It has been shown to:
- Improve pain management associated with irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS: It works by relaxing the smooth muscles in the colon, which relieves pain. It may also reduce bloating and other digestive symptoms (13, 14, 15).
- When used in aromatherapy, peppermint may help fight nausea.
- Fight oral bacteria and bad breath.
Peppermint is a great addition to your diet and your container garden. Since it spreads like a weed, you can control it well when in a container.
Great Ways to Use the Herbs from Your Container Garden
There are many great ways to use your fresh herbs. They include:
- Try herb sauces to add flavor to cooked meats, salads, and more. Try this delicious parsley-based sauce like Keto Zone® Chimichurri or Fresh Basil Pesto (recipes below)!
- Add herbs to smoothies. While you may have never thought of an herb in a smoothie, it’s actually a great addition! Try our Glowing Skin Basil Smoothie (recipe below).
- Boost your salad flavor by adding fresh mint or other herbs.
- Add any herb to your dessert (berries, whipped cream and basil make a delicious low-carb treat.
- Try fresh herbs on your burger, taco, or other Keto Zone® favorite!
Keto Zone® Fresh Herb Recipes
- Easy Keto Zone® Pesto: Place 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, 2 cloves garlic, ¼ cup pine nuts, and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Process until coarsely chopped. Add 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Process until fully incorporated and smooth. If desired, add salt and pepper to taste. Optionally, add in 1/3 cup shredded parmesan and mix thoroughly.
- Keto Zone® Chimichurri: Mix 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, 3-4 cloves minced garlic, 2 small red chilies (chopped finely and seeded), 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 level teaspoon coarse salt, and pepper (to taste) in a bowl. Allow to set at least 2 hours before enjoying.
- Energizing Basil Smoothie: Place 8 ounces brewed green tea OR 1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea powder, 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned, full fat), 1/2-1 cup fresh basil leaves, 1 lemon, zested & juiced, 1/4 cup blueberries (or any kind berries), 1 scoop Keto Zone ®Hydrolyzed Collagen, 1 scoop Divine Health® Green Fermented Supremefood, and water or ice (as needed for desired consistency) in a blender. Process until smooth. Enjoy the energy!
- Peppermint Tea: Boil 2 cups of water, remove it from the heat, then add in 4-5 torn peppermint leaves. Cover the pot with a lid, and steep for 5 minutes. Strain the tea, pour it into a mug, and enjoy!
- Easy Daily Green Plan: Add 1-2 servings of Divine Health Red and Green Supremefoods® to your daily routine and get real-food organic herbs, greens, fruits, and more!
There is no downside to growing a Keto Zone® Fresh Herb Container Garden of herbs. Each herb boosts amazing nutrition benefits, you’ll be healthier just with the act of gardening, and you can add flavor to your foods and drinks all summer long. Get yours growing today!