Did you know there’s one drink that’s best for amazing health? It’s a drink that nourishes your soul, mind, and body. In fact, it’s so important we’d soon deteriorate and die without it. It’s required by every cell in the body. It covers our planet. But here’s where it gets interesting…it’s also amazing nourishment for our souls. Are you ready to drink this every day?
Jesus made analogies to water as nourishment for our souls. The very drink that is crucial for our bodies can remind us of his words, every time we drink it.
As the summer heat continues, think of His words with every drink. Maybe He used water as an analogy to drive home the importance of his words. Perhaps to give us a reminder every day, all throughout the day. Or, maybe it is to help us realize the soothing, comforting, and most of all, satisfying feeling we can get from following Him…just like drinking water when we are thirsty.
With every drink, satisfy your thirst in body and soul.
There are many verses in the bible about water. Some refer to it as a primary need of the human body for physical health. Other verses point to God as our provider for physical needs and nourishment. Still other verses compare tapping into Jesus as the key to our spiritual health. Here’s what Jesus told a woman at a well about the living water He offers:
There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give Me a drink.” For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. Therefore the Samaritan woman said to Him, “How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” She said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?” Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”
What does this have to do with amazing health? Summer heat? Hydration?
Perhaps God has given us an analogy using a daily, sometimes hourly, physical need to remind us of what we really need: Living Water. For amazing health, drink this every day. Remember these words with every sip.
God certainly cares about our physical needs too. As summer moves into its hottest month, here are 10 ways to drink enough water. With every sip, be reminded of His words and your need for Living Water!
1. Know Your Needs: Aim for 64-80 ounces per day. If you’re outside a lot and/or active, add more.
2. Drink on Schedule: In a perfect world, it would be easy to simply drink when we are thirsty. However, most American adults live in an imperfect, overly-busy world. Other people’s needs often take precedent, and it’s easy to forego our own needs throughout the day. So, drink to a schedule such as 32 ounces by noon, 32 ounces by 4:00 pm, and 16 more ounces by 6:00 pm.
3. Find a Reusable Water Bottle You Like: Drinking is easier when you can take water on the go, and you like the bottle it’s in.
4. Filter Your Water if Needed: If your tap water doesn’t taste great, consider a filter in your fridge, on a pitcher, or on your faucet. You’ll drink more if you trust the purity and taste of your water.
5. Consider It Part of Your Healthy Metabolism Strategy: Sometimes, your motivation for doing something makes all the difference in your follow-through. Ice water actually causes your body to burn more calories every day! So, aim for 80 ounces of ice-water per day and boost your metabolism (2).
6. Flavor It For Fun: If you get tired of plain ol’ water glass after glass, make it a bit more fun with healthy flavorings. Try ginger strips, berries, cucumbers or lemon. Or, try our much-loved low-carb lemonade. Want even more nutrition with every swig? Add probiotics, wheatgrass, beet powder and more with keto-friendly fruit and fermented vegetable powders.
7. Make It Part of Your Skin Care Routine: Another great motivation for drinking more? Great skin! Amazingly, adequate hydration has been associated with an improved appearance of skin. One recent study found that an increase of 2 liters of water per day improved skin condition and physiology, even in those who already consumed high amounts of water (3).
8. Drink More For Your Mood: Ever felt fatigued, cranky or uneasy without explanation? Or, the onset of a headache despite good sleep and no other known reasons? It could be dehydration. Believe it or not, dehydration has been linked to cognition and mood changes (4). What’s more, many who suffer from migraines report dehydration as a suspect cause.
9. Easily Cold-Brew Tea for Water Needs: It’s difficult to overstate the whole-body health benefits of tea. And, there’s no better way to brew green tea or black tea in the summer than cold-brew or sun-tea. Simply, place 2-3 tablespoons green or black tea in 16 ounces water, and let it brew for a few hours on your counter or in the sun. You can add ginger, cinnamon sticks, lemon slices and more. Cold-brew tea is delish, nutritionally potent, and can help you drink enough water despite its gentle diuretic effect.
10. Drink to Lube Your Joints: Cartilage, found in joints and the disks of the spine, contains around 80 percent water. If your body experiences long-term dehydration, it may also experience lack of needed joint fluid. What’s more, dehydration often precipitates gout flares (5).
It never ceases to amaze me that our loving God is concerned about our physical, emotional, and spiritual health. He’s provided simple means to nourish us, and then given us all we need to satisfy our souls. With every sip, thank God for His provisions. Then, remember and drink His Living Water.
We’ve been given an amazing gift in water, both the water we can drink each day and the Living Water God’s given us to nourish our souls. With every sip, remember to drink this water from Him. His words and love will truly satisfy, long after water has coursed through our bodies. Drink this amazing drink every day!