Sometimes, you just need a pick-me-up. This weekend, after several of staying home away from your community, extended family, and friends, you may appreciate one. Keto Zone Chocolate Chip Cookies to the rescue!
Why take the time to make these rather than just eat commercially made ones?
Our Keto Zone Chocolate Chip Cookies pack all the flavor of a regular one, but without the sugar, wheat flour, and carbs. What’s more, they are high-nutrient and delicious.
This COVID-19 pandemic time of “sheltering in place” doesn’t have to be completely dull. You can bring smiles to your family’s faces with love and cookies.
Keto Zone Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup salted butter (softened, organic or free-range in possible)
3/4 cup Erythritol or equivalent of another Keto sweetener
1 teaspoon real vanilla
1 large egg (organic or free-range in possible)
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)*
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup 70%+ cacao (can be a chopped bar) OR sugar-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 355 deg F. Prepare a baking sheet by greasing with oil, adding parchment paper, or lining with a silicone mat.
- Soften butter in the microwave.
- Add the butter and sweetener to a medium mixing bowl. Beat until combined. Add the vanilla and the egg. Beat on low for 15 seconds (don’t overbeat).
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Beat until well combined.
- Shape the dough together into a mixture. Remove from bowl, and knead in chocolate chips with your hands.
- Press the dough together and remove it from the bowl. Knead in the chocolate chips with your
- Divide the dough into 12 balls (about one tablespoon each) and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. If you’ve omitted xantham gum, reduce baking time to just 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy! They can be kept in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Info (per cookie): 168 calories, 17 grams fat, 2.3 grams net carbs, 4 grams protein
Amazing Nutrition in Keto Zone Chocolate Chip Cookies
Why make these cookies rather than indulging in regular commercial chocolate chip cookies? Here are a few reasons:
1. They’ll Keep You in the Keto Zone
When you can enjoy delicious treats and stay in the Keto Zone, you’ve found a great food choice! In the Keto Zone, you can:
- Lose weight efficiently and sustain it without hunger (1)
- Lose fat in the abdominal area
- Improve blood sugars, insulin sensitivity, and hormone health
- Improve heart health markers
2. It Uses Delicious High Cacao Chips – A True Superfood
The chips in this recipe are specifically high cacao. Why?
Only because cacao is one of the best “superfoods” available.
Cacao contains more than 300 different antioxidant chemical compounds. Its antioxidant power is measured at 20 times that of blueberries. And what’s more, it’s antioxidants are stable for years (2)!
Along with antioxidant power, the compounds in raw cacao can reduce stress, reduce blood pressure, improve brain health, and more.
3. Almonds Promote Health
Almonds and almond flour are very useful and versatile ingredients in Keto Zone eating. Here’s how almonds promote health in the body:
- Almonds are loaded with nutrients such as 5 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, 9 grams of healthy monounsaturated foods, 37% of the RDI of Vitamin E, 20% of magnesium, and only 2.5 grams net carbs per 1/4 cup serving (1).
- Almonds contain powerful flavenoids. The flavonoids found in almond skins team up with the vitamin E found in their meat to more than double the antioxidant punch either delivers when administered separately. When the nutrients are combined in a “whole food,” they deliver a one, two, punch.
- Almonds’ antioxidants fight free radicals. They include vitamin E, flavonoids and more. These antioxidants reduce the amount of cholesterol that becomes oxidized and harmful in the arteries, reducing plaque formation significantly. In studies, isolated almond flavonoids alone increase LDL’s resistance to oxidation by 18%. When you add the skin of the almond and use the “whole food,” the resistance is increased to over 50%!
- Almonds’ magnesium helps regulate blood sugar. Almonds are one of the few naturally occurring high-magnesium foods. Magnesium is involved in many body processes, including blood sugar control (3). In studies, it’s been found that magnesium foods and supplements lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity (4, 5).
- Almonds are great anti-inflammatories. In fact, they actually are as potent as statins in reducing C-reactive protein, a marker of artery-damaging inflammation. Almonds contain resveratrol, the anti-inflammatory agent found in red wines. For non-wine drinkers, this is great news since this powerful nutrient is beneficial to many systems in the body.
4. No Wheat or Sugar
Of course, our Keto Zone Chocolate Chip Cookies are missing a few things. You won’t find high-carb wheat (all-purpose) flour or sugar in them.
These blood-sugar-elevating foods are not part of the Keto Zone plan. They require our bodies to use boluses of insulin, which promotes fat storage, disease, and unhealthy cells.
By staying low-carb in the Keto Zone, your body can use ketones for steady, healthy energy and a focused brain.
If you’re taking some extra time these days to cook or bake, make sure to keep it in the Keto Zone. Our Keto Zone Chocolate Chip Cookies are great tasting, and great for you. What’s more, they are sure to bring smiles to your household.