A growing health trend has led people to give up sodas and unhealthy drinks and taking up alkaline drinks instead.
Alkalized water has been shown to boost your metabolism, reduce acid in your bloodstream, and help your body absorb nutrients more quickly, along with many other benefits. It is rich in potassium, folate, Vitamin B6 and thiamin as well as approved amounts of magnesium, calcium, phosphorous and vitamins A and E. Alkaline water is also a great way to get your recommended amount of water intake in a given day.
Best of all, you can alkalize your own water at home with little to no additional cost. Lemon water, for example, is a fast and delicious way to cut down on the acid in your body. Simply squeeze half a lemon into a big bottle of cool water. This easy way of alkalizing water goes a long way into cutting down acidity in your body.
There are many benefits to introducing alkaline drinks into your lifestyle. We have compiled a short list showing the biggest advantages to throwing out the sugar and caffeine beverages and switching to alkaline drinks:
1. Immune Boosting: your immune system can get weakened by the acidic property of everyday foods. Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
2. Fights Aging & Free Radical Formation: The Vitamin-C in lemons and the alkaline properties they possess can rid the body of Free Radicals. These unpredictable elements can cause a lot of inflammation or painful swelling in the body.
3. Arthritis: vitamin C rich foods have been shown to provide humans with protection against inflammatory polyarthritis, a form of rheumatoid arthritis involving two or more joints.
4. Anti-Biotic: There are flavonoids in limes and lemons called glycosides which have antibiotic effects. Glycosides have been shown to prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases.
5. Anti-Cancer: While research trials are still underway, there is a strong belief in the medical and alternative medicine community that certain compounds in citrus foods called limonoids can help fight cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon.
6. Detoxifying: Many people swear by the detoxifying qualities of lemons. Taking lemon juice or lemon water in the morning flushes out toxins built up and processed for removal during your sleep. In fact, alkaline water is better than regular water for detoxifying your body.
7. Anti-Inflammatory: As mentioned earlier, citrus has anti-inflammatory characteristics and can help with reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid. Citrus has also been a relief for people with gout.
8. Eye Health: the vitamins and cartenoids in lemons help prevent macular degeneration. Therefore, they play a direct role in maintaining the health of your eyes and your eyesight.
This Alkaline lifestyle involves eating mainly alkaline foods in order to keep the body’s pH between 7.35 and 7.45. The ultimate aim is to eat 80 per cent alkaline foods and 20 per cent acidic foods. A large part of this diet is cutting down on sugary acidic drinks and introducing alkalized water into your lifestyle. This long-term practice will have a direct effect on your overall health and fitness.
To maximize Alkalinity try mixing Dr. Colbert’s Green Supremefood with 6oz-8oz of Alkaline water.
Sign up for Dr. Colbert's Newsletter
Receive the latest news on preventative medicine, supplements, promotions, and much more.